Nicholas Berry is a commercial and entertainment lawyer at Cubism Law. With 15 years' experience across the entire spectrum of the entertainment industry, Nicholas provides highly attuned insights into the commercial realities of creative content, rights and event management, including talent engagement and booking, production, venue licensing, asset management, sponsorship and corporate agreements, vending concessions and supplier relationships.
He also advises on general intellectual property matters, most notably in relation to copyright, trade marks, branding, merchandising and endorsement agreements. Nicholas has been instrumental in settling numerous intellectual property disputes and, for those considering actions for infringement of IP rights, can arrange a preliminary ͚desktop contract audit as a precursor to any formal proceedings.
Nicholas's client base includes creative agencies, event organisers, production companies, digital content/communication businesses and other rights-based organisations operating both in and outside the UK.
More recently, Nicholas͛s area of practice has expanded to embrace new opportunities in the emerging fields of app development, podcasting and social media management.
In the broader commercial sphere, Nicholas represents both entrepreneurs and private investors and has been involved in a wide range of investment deals, joint ventures, business mergers and consolidations.
In addition to maintaining a busy legal career Nicholas is a professional musician in his own right and can be heard performing as a wedding singer at venues in and around London.
He also acts as a Trustee and Treasurer for the The Special Recovery Trust and supports their ground breaking work ensuring the long term viability of Britain's most critically endangered native species.
- Advised a start-up VR film production company on arrangements for securing SEIS/EIS funding and formulating arrangements between existing shareholders & non-executive board
- Advised the developer of the revolutionary new app ͚oiid͛ on global content acquisition and promotional activities
- Conversant with preparing contract suites for companies engaged in the creation and/or exploitation of intellectual property, including production companies, distributors, talent/management agencies and rights management enterprises
- Advised two leading UK music entertainment companies on their joint purchase of a minority interest in a well-known boutique festival
- Advised on settlement of copyright infringement dispute on behalf of songwriters involving internationally renowned recording artist
- Drafted commercial sponsor, concessionaire and supplier agreements in advance of launch of ͚Swingers, London's premier crazy golfing venue
- Acts as general counsel to CODA Agency, one of the UK's pre-eminent booking agencies, and the Writers Guild of Great Britain
- Master of Arts, University of Oxford
- Master of Science, University of Bath
- Graduate Diploma of Law, BPP School of Law