Dispute Resolution and Commercial Litigation, Corporate & Commercial, International
Kulzhan Mehrabi is a dual qualified English-Kazakhstan lawyer in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law. She is admitted in England and Wales as a solicitor and as an advocate in Kazakhstan.
Kulzhan has over 20 years of professional legal experience in corporate, commercial, energy, public international law and dispute resolution.
Kulzhan Mehrabi is a dual qualified English-Kazakhstan lawyer in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law. She is admitted in England and Wales as a solicitor and as an advocate in Kazakhstan. Kulzhan has over 20 years of professional legal experience in corporate, commercial, energy, public international law and dispute resolution.
Her main areas of expertise include cross border dispute resolution involving commercial disputes, fraud, corporate, banking telecommunications, pharmaceutical, conflict of laws, asset-tracing and enforcement matters. Her extensive experience covers a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions and dispute resolution, including a number of high profile cases that involved states, corporate, banks and high net worth individuals.
Prior to joining Cubism Law, she was a senior counsel and a partner at Russian and Kazakhstan law firms, and worked as a consultant and paralegal for a magic circle English practice on various high profile cases. Her experience also includes working in house at an energy company, Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Justice and international organisations.
Kulzhan speaks English, Russian and Kazakh languages. She has published articles in English and Russian on topical issues of legal services in England and Kazakhstan.
Kulzhan has received numerous academic accolades including First Class degrees from universities in England and Kazakhstan as well as an Award for Outstanding Academic Performance at the BPP Law School at Master level.
- Acting for a defendant in a London seated complex arbitration matter brought by the EBRD under the guarantee agreement
- Acting successfully for a Kazakhstan client in an HMRC claim in relation to an inheritance tax claim helping the client to keep their home and to reduce inheritance tax by over £1M
- Representing a defendant in the defence of a claim against a major Kazakhstan corporation involving multi-million fraud by its former management and shareholders, Kazakhstan Kagazy Plc & Ors v Zhunus & Ors  EWHC 2363 (Comm)
- Representing a Kazakhstan client in an LCIA arbitration in a dispute arising under a share purchase agreement involving a major energy company
- Acting for a Russian private bank in a claim in relation to a US$180 million fraud committed by former employees, Otkrytie International Investment Management Ltd. & Ors v Urumov & Ors  EWCA Civ 1315
- Acting for one of the largest Kazakhstan banks in its asset recovery claim concerning fraudulent transactions of over US$6 billion entered into by its former management, JSC BTA Bank v Ablyazov  EWCA Civ 928
- Assisting a large Russian telecommunication company, in relation to their claim against the Kyrgyz Government for wrongful acquisitions and misappropriation of shares in a Kyrgyzstan-incorporated telecommunications company, Bitel LLC v Kyrgyz Mobil Tel Limited and Altimo Holdings and Investment Limited v Kyrgyz Mobil Tel Limited
- Acting for a large international pharmaceutical company in relation to allegations of bribery committed by its Moscow based senior employee
- Assisting in a matter in relation to the UK Office for Fair Trading (OFT) investigation into the hotel online booking sector, conducting legal research and preparing notes on calculations of penalties for price-fixing and a response to the OFT issued Statement of Objections against certain online booking agencies and hotels
- Providing additional expertise and in-depth knowledge of Kazakhstan law by way of expert witness reports and legal opinions in relation cross-border dispute resolution
- Conducting due diligence and pre-litigation investigation in respect of Russian and CIS companies and high-net-worth individuals in oil, financial and banking industries and their involvement in complex international and local disputes, including arbitration, litigation, fraud, asset recovery and corporate investigations
Corporate & Commercial
- Acting for an on-line gambling company to provide advice on terms of business, compliance and regulatory, employment and tax matters
- Acting for a Kazakhstan client to provide advice and legal assistance in setting up an investment fund to manage their extensive investment portfolio
- Providing a creative solution for a range of business issues for the CIS clients generating millions in revenue and securing favourable contractual terms
- Providing an advice matrix on distribution of various types of financial products into Kazakhstan for German Commerzbank
- Facilitating successfully a number of corporate transactions by structuring and negotiating commercial contracts and providing overseas companies entrée into the Kazakhstan market including licensing, trademarks, copyrights, employee/labour policies, regulatory compliance, advertising and marketing, commercial real estate transactions and M&A
- Representing Chinese shareholders in a shareholder dispute against joint venture partners arising out of a management contract in an oil and gas joint venture
- Advising a number of international businesses and overseas companies on various aspects of Kazakh law for the purpose of establishing business operations in Kazakhstan and structuring their business locally
- Advising CIS clients on a broad range of legal issues, coordinating and managing projects involving English law and the law of other jurisdictions
- Providing legal opinions and expert reports on matters of Kazakhstan law and/or on topical issues including marketing activities, financial products and securities market, corporate and joint ventures, employment, investment and subsoil use laws, commercial contracts, enforcement of foreign court judgments and arbitral awards, fraud, corruption, etc
- Advising clients in the context of M&A projects and drafting complex contractual documents
- 2019 - Present, Consultant Solicitor, Cubism Law
- 2015 - 2019 Senior Counsel, CIS London LLP
- 2013 - 2015 Partner, Linkage & Mind LLP
- 2012 - 2013 Paralegal, Hogan Lovells LLP
- 2011 - 2012 Paralegal, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- 2010 - 2011 Consultant, Russian Paralegals Ltd
- 2008 - 2011 Pro bono, Senior Costs Office; Citizens Advice Bureau; Islington Law Centre
- 2004 - 2007 Legal Counsel, KazGerMunai JSV (Oil company), Kazakhstan
- 2000 - 2004 Diplomat, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan
- 1999 - 2000 Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of CIS, St Petersburg, Russia
- 1997 - 1999 Senior Expert, Ministry of Justice of Kazakhstan
Education and Qualifications
- 2018 Solicitor, England & Wales
- 2017 Advocate, Kazakhstan
- 2013 - 2014 LLM in Professional Legal Practice, BPP Law School (Distinction and Outstanding)
- 2010 - 2012 Legal Practice Course (LPC), BPP Law School (Distinction)
- 2008 - 2011 GDL and LLB Conversion course, BPP Law School (Upper Second Class)
- 1993 - 1997 LLB in International Law, Karaganda State University, Kazakhstan (Distinction)
- Interview for the Law Society Gazette, 11 November 2013
- Enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral rewards in Kazakhstan: new development https://news.cislondon.com/data/uploads/CIS%20London_Enforcement%20of%20foreign%20judgments%20and%20arbitral%20awards%20in%20Kazakhstan.pdf
- Reflections on the restriction of foreign law firms activities in Kazakhstan http://blog.linkagemind.com/en/reflections-on-the-restriction-of-foreign-law-firms-activities-in-kazakhstan/
- International arbitration – practical recommendations http://blog.linkagemind.com/en/international-arbitration-practical-recommendations/
- Enforcement of foreign judgments in England and Kazakhstan http://blog.linkagemind.com/en/enforcement-of-foreign-judgments-in-england-and-kazakhstan/