Douglas is a hotel and leisure lawyer at Cubism Law. He has over 35 years’ experience in the hospitality industry in advising predominantly hotel owners and developers on both legal and commercial aspect of hotel management and franchise agreements.
Douglas acts for companies involved in the development and conversion of hotels. He has extensive experience of negotiating the template hotel management and franchise agreements of most of the global brand operators.
His clients include high end entrepreneurs, private equity houses, multinational companies and government agencies.
With his extensive experience in negotiating hotel agreements and his encyclopedic knowledge of the fee structures used by hotel operators, Douglas is
regularly asked to assist owners and developers in the commercial negotiations during the operator selection and Heads of Terms phase of a project.
Having spent 10 years as an in-house lawyer in industry, Doug fully appreciates the importance of assessing the risks associated with each individual project as each hotel project and each client is different.
Douglas is a Londoner and, when time allows, he seeks to take advantage of all that London can offer, in particular galleries and museums.
- Assisted the owner in the negotiation of a Joint Venture Agreement and template Management Contract in connection with several hotels in the Middle East to be managed by the Rezidor Group
- Prepared and negotiated a lease for the letting to AmanResorts of Sveti Stefan Island, Montenegro and its luxury hotels
- Acted for the Owner in the negotiation of a Management Agreement with Jumeirah International in connection with a luxury hotel in Kuwait
- Acted for the Owners in the negotiation with Marriott International of hotel management and related agreements for upscale hotels in Lisbon and Copenhagen
- Negotiating the arena management agreement for the Odyssey Arena in Belfast; The Odyssey Arena was Northern Ireland’s Millennium project and is the home of the Belfast Giants, a Northern Irish Ice Hockey team whose players and supporters represent Belfast as a whole and which does not attach itself to a particular faith or community.
- Advised a Qatari Sovereign Fund in relation to its negotiation with various hotel operators in connection with several hotel/resort projects in the Middle East and Europe
- Acted for the Montenegrin Government regarding the proposed development of a resort town on a substantial site on the Adriatic coast
- Acted for the owner in the negotiation with Hilton of management contracts for a standalone convention centre and an upscale hotel forming part of a substantial mixed use development to be constructed by the Dead Sea, Jordan
- Acted for the owner in the negotiation of a franchise agreement for a large hotel at Heathrow Airport to be operated by the Owner under a Hilton brand
- Acted for a joint venture operator in the negotiation of a hotel management agreement for a luxury hotel to be developed in Sloane Square and also in the negotiation of the joint venture agreement
- Drafted template hotel management and franchise agreements for Travelodge
- Lawyer, Cubism Law
- 2005 – Present – Associate, Hotel Solutions Partnership
- 1996 – Present – Member, International Society of Hospitality Consultants
- 1984-2015 – Sole Principal, Douglas Wignall & Co
- 1981-1983 – Legal Counsel, ITT Sheraton Management Corporation
- 1977-1981 – Assistant General Counsel, Badger Limited