Probate (uncontested) - Fees
Our pricing for the Grant of Probate (collecting and distributing the assets) - uncontested
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This pricing is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
- There are no foreign assets.
Costs are charged at an hourly rate which can range from £300.00 to £450.00 (excluding VAT). If more than one Consultant is acting, we will provide details of the hourly rate for each Consultant. There will be additional charge by reference to the value of the estate. The additional charge element is 1% of the gross value of the estate, excluding the deceased’s residence. The charge of 1% increases to 1.5% where the Consultant or Director of Cubism Law is also an executor of the estate.
In cases of estates over £1 million, the additional charge will be as based on a scale as follows:
- £1m - £4m: 0.5%
- £4m - £8m: 0.16%
- £8m - £12m: 0.08%
- Above £12m: 0.04%
This includes: obtaining the grant, collecting assets and distributing them.
Key stages and service
As part of our costs we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate.
Disbursements included in this fee
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process:
- Probate application fee of £155.00
- £7.00 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- £50.00 Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors
- £50.00 Post in a local newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there are likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually)
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will my matter take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 12-18 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes six months. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6-12 months. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets.
Our private client team has over 100 years collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to probate work. For full details of our team, see below: