Dispute Resolution (Commercial Litigation), Professional Negligence, Shareholder, Director & LLP Disputes
Stephen is a solicitor working in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law.
He has over 18 years’ experience in working for both private clients and as in-house counsel.
Stephen is a solicitor working in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law. He has over 18 years’ experience in working for both private clients and as in-house counsel.
For the last 8 years Stephen has been dealing with all aspects of professional negligence and commercial disputes. He has dealt with complex business disputes, especially those arising from professional negligence; with a focus on financial services and financial services industry disputes.
Stephen and the team are currently the only claimant team ranked under professional negligence in the key legal directory Chambers & Partners.
Prior to his career in private practice, Stephen was in-house counsel at GE Money and before that he was responsible for legal and compliance at a national loan brokerage and lending business.
- Commercial Disputes
- Professional Negligence
- Currently involved with a multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist legal practice acting for high net worth individuals for the negligent conduct of a multi-million pound financial services industry dispute (due to go to trial in November 2017)
- Currently preparing a claim against a City legal practice for their negligent advice on a development contract with a local authority
- Ongoing claim against an IFA in respect of advice to make a loan to him personally out of the client’s pension which has not been repaid
- Successfully recovered from a firm of solicitors specialising in financial services litigation for their negligent conduct of a multi-million pound financial services industry dispute (which the clients had technically “won” at the Court of Appeal). Confidential settlement in May 2016
- Successfully recovered (following mediation) in a claim against a London legal practice for negligent advice on security over a valuable London property for a substantial loan that was never repaid
- Successfully recovered (following mediation) against solicitors and counsel in respect of their negligent conduct of failed chancery litigation
- Claimed against a firm of accountants for facilitating the client’s exclusion from the family business. The trial ran for 23 days and was preceded by several successful, reported, interim applications
General Commercial Litigation:
- Ongoing claim against a UK bank for mistreatment of its customer following the financial crisis of 2008 in which £500,000 has already been recovered for the client
- Claim by a property developer against a local authority for breach of a multimillion pound joint venture agreement
- Various disputes in respect of outstanding costs and the recovery of documents with clients’ former solicitors
- Defended a claim that a mortgage was void for non-compliance with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and successfully obtained possession of the subject property in the High Court and maintained the position on appeal
- Successful counterclaim against the freeholder of a large and prestigiously located block of central London flats in respect of misrepresentations inducing a lease and million pound refurbishment of a terraced apartment overlooking Green Park
- Counterclaims in misrepresentation, breach of contract and collateral warranty against a national financial services consolidator (a subsidiary of a multi-billion pound global insurance giant) in respect of multi-million pound losses incurred by small IFA businesses; settled pursuant to confidential terms in December 2012 and June 2013
- Claim in misrepresentation and breach of warranty of authority in respect of the occupation of a multi-storey car park involving two sets of High Court proceedings, ultimately pursuant to confidential terms before trial
2017- Present: Solicitor, Cubism Law
2009-2017: Solicitor, Neumans LLP
2004-2009: Legal & Compliance, GE Money
1999-2004: Legal & Compliance, The Mortgage Group / Capital Credit
1992-1999: Local authority trading standards enforcement
Stephen, part of Anjan Patel's team, are currently the only claimant team ranked under professional negligence in the key legal directory Chambers & Partners.