Employment Law Private, Employment Disputes, Professional Partnerships
Jonathan is an employment lawyer working in the Golden Leaver team, which is part of Cubism Law. He has over 30 years’ experience as a solicitor and specialises in advising individuals as well as organisations on confidential employment, discrimination and HR matters.
Jonathan, the founder of the Golden Leaver team, has over 30 years’ experience as a solicitor advising individuals and organisations on confidential employment, discrimination and HR matters.
Jonathan’s clients include professional firms, senior professionals and figures in financial services and banking, telecoms and software, recruitment agencies and a broad cross section of businesses.
Jonathan specialises in negotiating joining and termination packages for senior executives and is often brought in by professional practices and private equity houses to resolve partnership, boardroom and shareholder issues, particularly in the SME sector. His strategic advice is valued by organisations that are planning for change, such as large-scale redundancies and company restructures.
Jonathan is ranked "Outstanding in field" and is 1 of only 15 employment lawyers recommended in the Spears 500 legal directory of top private client advisers for HNW individuals.
Outside of work, Jonathan supports music in all its forms and is a member of the Leconfield Singers and the Accidentals Orchestra Band; he is active in Chi Kung, philosophy and meditation groups and is a keen walker, organising annual walks for the Petworth Festival and the Royal British Legion.
- Advised executives on the terms of their settlement agreements, ranging in value from several £000s to multi-million deals involving options, RSUs and bonuses.
- Advising senior executives on individual and team moves, including past restrictions and new contracts and on-boarding requirements, including recognition of deferred compensation and guaranteed bonuses, in the banking and other regulated sectors.
- Advised a group of International management consultants, individually and collectively, on terms of merger with a top three international firm, and later negotiated terms for individual departures.
- Advising executives facing bullying and harassment at work to navigate internal politics and procedures, bring discrimination claims and limit the damage to their reputations.
- Advising a professional in multi-million pound claim against a professional firm.
- Advising the Managing Partner of a large regional law firm on terms of retirement.
- Representing City Law firm on an age and disability discrimination claim, and dealing with various sensitive departures of senior staff and partners.
- Advising AIM listed company on various acquisitions and mergers including implementing TUPE and collective redundancy consultations, and subsequent harmonisation of employment terms.
- Advising VC partners in connection with the departure of a high profile partner.
- Advising Swiss investment firm in connection with the departure of its UK team.
- Advising recruitment firm on a restructure and new terms for directors and staff.
- Advising specialist wine trader in connection with the enforcement of post termination restrictions.
- Advising care home in connection with performance issues, risk assessment and implementation of a restructure.
- Advising accountancy firm on partnership issues.
- Advising the founding director and shareholder of a boutique recruitment business in a dispute with fellow directors.
- 2015 - Present - Lawyer, Golden Leaver as a trading name of Cubism Law
- 2009 - 2015 - Partner, Golden Leaver LLP
- 1987 - 2009 - Solicitor and later Managing Partner, Solnick & Co.
- 1985 - 1987 - Articled Clerk, Manches & Co.
- 1983 - 1985 - College of Law
- 1980 - 1983 - University of York (Philosophy)
- 1981 - 1982 - Berkeley, University of California (Philosophy)
- 1980 - Commissioned into the Queen's Regiment (Sussex)