French Practice, Private Client Tax, Residential Property
Guillaume is a lawyer (Juriste) qualified in France.
He is head of the French Practice (Private Clients) at Cubism Law and has particular expertise in French property law and other matters relating to acquiring and holding assets in France and subject to French law such as wills, inheritance and French tax issues.
Guillaume is a lawyer (Juriste) qualified in France. He is head of the French Practice (Private Clients) at Cubism Law and has particular expertise in French property law and other matters relating to acquiring and holding assets in France and subject to French law such as wills, inheritance and French tax issues.
Much of Guillaume’s work involves providing comprehensive legal advice for English-speaking clients acquiring and owning assets in France. His clients are private individuals both in the UK and in France.
His role often requires him to deal with the various legal and tax aspects of transactions relating to French property, while taking into account the estate planning aspects resulting from such cross-border situations.
Guillaume understands the British way of thinking when advising on French law and, being French, he has an in-depth understanding of the way France and its administration, systems and people work.
Guillaume ensures the acquisition or sale is covered at least from the compromis (which can be likened to the English exchange of contracts) dealing with the estate agent and the Notaire all the way through to signing the completion deed and beyond.
He is passionate about working alongside his clients to solve issues and anticipate cross-border matters in an international context.
A large proportion of Guillaume’s practice has an international flavour and includes acting for clients from the UK and France but also Ireland, the Netherlands, the USA, South Africa and Singapore.
The French Practice (Private Clients) at Cubism Law offers bilingual expertise and an extensive network of contacts in both the United Kingdom and France, to deal with French legal matters for UK residents.
Guillaume in the media
- Advised on the purchase of a €1,000,000 off-plan property by a couple with children from previous relationships, setting up of a French company to facilitate the estate management and secure a transfer to the children in equal shares preventing any hindrance from French inheritance rules
- Advised on the purchase of property in St Barthelemy (French independent territory) for a price of about €5,000,000 and setting up a company for estate planning purposes
- Advised not to purchase a €542,000 off-plan property which funding was shared with my clients’ son and his wife, as the developer’s contract offered not enough guarantees
- Advised on the purchase of a €300,000 farm and land owned by nine co-heirs to be converted into a house for which planning permission was a condition of the purchase
- Advised on the purchase of a €750,000 property by a couple moving permanently to France and estate planning including a marriage contract and wills to transfer their estate in unequal shares
- Advised on the set up of a €150,000 loan from a US private individual to fund works on a property purchase at €130,000, the loan agreement included a third party acting as personal guarantor
- Advised on the organisation of an estate planning solution for a €2,200,000 property including the use of a trust in the light of new French legislation voted on 6 July 2011
- Drafted and registered a will for a €270,000 property owned by a client in poor health in order to protect its transfer to her children against her husband’s business creditors
- Advised on the organisation of estate planning solutions for same-sex couples when acquiring French property with and without moving to France
- Advised on the probate including the deceased person’s children (clients) and his surviving spouse, who was not the children’s mother, and transfer to her of a €450,000 property, all of which had to be dealt with through Powers of Attorney in consideration of the delicate context of the matter
- Advised on the succession procedure which started in 1996, organising the transfer of a property valued at €380,000 then and €1,600,000 and on completion increasing clients’ share from €130,000 originally offered to €400,000
- Advised on the transfer of a €250,000 French property to client’s sole name as a consequence of a Consent Order in a UK divorce procedure
- Advised on the retrieval of a 5% deposit wrongly disputed by the vendor and the notaire in a €270,000 purchase from which clients lawfully withdrew
- 2012 – Present – French Lawyer (Juriste), French Practice at Cubism Law, London, UK
- 2008 – 2012 – French Lawyer (Juriste), BHIM Ltd, Cheltenham, UK
- 2007 – 2008 – Fee Earner (Juriste), Fox Hayes LLP, Leeds, UK
- 2007 – Juriste, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Paris, France
- 2004 – 2006 – Fee Earner (Juriste), Nick Hutchinson & Co, Cheltenham, UK
Guillaume is a member of the Franco-British Lawyers Society