Employment Law Business, Employment Law Private, Employment Disputes
David is a senior solicitor in the Employment Department at Cubism Law.
His career, spanning nearly 20 years, has given him experience in all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment law.
David is a senior solicitor in the Employment Department at Cubism Law. His career, spanning nearly 20 years, has given him experience in all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment law ranging from claims in the Employment Tribunals, High Court and the Central Arbitration Committee to transactional advice involving multi million pound company purchase. David͛s specific focus is on employment based issues with unusual legal and factual aspects to them.
David͛s client group is broad ranging from private individuals to national and international organisations and companies in all areas of business, including technology, telecoms, banking and finance, manufacturing, construction, recruitment, media and publishing. On the private client side, he regularly advises on͚David and Goliath͛ claims against large employers that many in his shoes often wouldn͛t touch.
On the employer side, he works with HR departments and senior directors who need preventative employment advice, representing them when needed in contentious matters ranging from the enforcement of restrictive covenants and non-competition clauses, claims involving all types of discrimination, unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal and whistle-blowing, to data protection and regulatory issues.
David͛s expertise also covers the employment aspects of business sales and purchases, the drafting of contracts, handbooks, policies and agreements for consultants and subcontractors, commercial agents and agency workers. He also negotiates settlement/compromise agreements for individuals. He also has specific experience in the recruitment sector and matters involving the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.
Outside of work David enjoys watching his children unleash their more aggressive tendencies on the rugby field now that he has become too old to do the same.
- Successfully defended a business in the recruitment sector against springboard injunction proceedings to enforce non-compete restrictive covenants;
- Advised a multi-national business on setting up and the implementation of an ͞unapproved͟ share-based benefit scheme;
- Advised a number of medium and large business on the removal of problematic directors/shareholders;
- Advised a large recruitment company on the implications of a failure to properly implement ͞Opt-Outs͟ under the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003;
- Advised a number of individuals in the finance markets on termination packages, bonus payments and the enforceability of restrictive covenants;
- Successfully represented an individual in a high profile claim against an international not-for-profit organisation following their dismissal for whistleblowing;
- Recently advised on a sex discrimination/harassment cases for two senior executive resulting in high six figure settlements;
- Successfully advised and represented two senior executives of a multinational company on a claim for recovery of sizeable commission payments
- Led a successful claim against a public body for an individual in the Employment Tribunal for perceived disability discrimination;
- Represented a European Works Council in the Central Arbitration Committee for breach of their European Works Council against a multi-billion dollar multinational company in the first successful case of its kind in the UK.
- 2010 – Present - Consultant, Cubism Law
- 2006 –2009 – Partner, B P Collins
- 2005-2006 – Head of Employment, Rollingsons
- 2004-2005 – Solicitor, Magrath & Co
- 2001-2004 – Assistant Solicitor, B P Collins Solicitors
- 2000-2001 – Assistant Solicitor, Levenes Solicitors