Stephen is a solicitor working in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law. He has over 18 years’ experience in working for both private clients and as in-house counsel.
For the last 8 years Stephen has been dealing with all aspects of professional negligence and commercial disputes. He has dealt with complex business disputes, especially those arising from professional negligence; with a focus on financial services and financial services industry disputes.
Stephen, and the team of six working under Cubism Law’s Senior Consultant Anjan Patel, regularly act for a variety of clients ranging from, successful entrepreneurs and high net worth individuals, to foreign entities seeking compensation from their former legal representatives.
Stephen and the team are currently the only claimant team ranked under professional negligence in the key legal directory Chambers and Partners.
Prior to his career in private practice, Stephen was in-house counsel at GE Money and before that he was responsible for legal and compliance at a national loan brokerage and lending business.
Track Record / Key Experience:
- Currently involved with a multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist legal practice acting for high net worth individuals for the negligent conduct of a multi-million pound financial services industry dispute (due to go to trial in November 2017)
- Currently preparing a claim against a City legal practice for their negligent advice on a development contract with a local authority
- Ongoing claim against an IFA in respect of advice to make a loan to him personally out of the client’s pension which has not been repaid
- Successfully recovered from a firm of solicitors specialising in financial services litigation for their negligent conduct of a multi-million pound financial services industry dispute (which the clients had technically “won” at the Court of Appeal). Confidential settlement in May 2016
- Successfully recovered (following mediation) in a claim against a London legal practice for negligent advice on security over a valuable London property for a substantial loan that was never repaid
- Successfully recovered (following mediation) against solicitors and counsel in respect of their negligent conduct of failed chancery litigation
- Claimed against a firm of accountants for facilitating the client’s exclusion from the family business. The trial ran for 23 days and was preceded by several successful, reported, interim applications
General Commercial Litigation:
- Ongoing claim against a UK bank for mistreatment of its customer following the financial crisis of 2008 in which £500,000 has already been recovered for the client
- Claim by a property developer against a local authority for breach of a multimillion pound joint venture agreement
- Various disputes in respect of outstanding costs and the recovery of documents with clients’ former solicitors
- Defended a claim that a mortgage was void for non-compliance with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and successfully obtained possession of the subject property in the High Court and maintained the position on appeal
- Successful counterclaim against the freeholder of a large and prestigiously located block of central London flats in respect of misrepresentations inducing a lease and million pound refurbishment of a terraced apartment overlooking Green Park
- Counterclaims in misrepresentation, breach of contract and collateral warranty against a national financial services consolidator (a subsidiary of a multi-billion pound global insurance giant) in respect of multi-million pound losses incurred by small IFA businesses; settled pursuant to confidential terms in December 2012 and June 2013
- Claim in misrepresentation and breach of warranty of authority in respect of the occupation of a multi-storey car park involving two sets of High Court proceedings, ultimately pursuant to confidential terms before trial
- 2017- Present: Solicitor, Cubism Law
- 2009-2017: Solicitor, Neumans LLP
- 2004-2009: Legal & Compliance, GE Money
- 1999-2004: Legal & Compliance, The Mortgage Group / Capital Credit
- 1992-1999: Local authority trading standards enforcement