Peter is a senior lawyer in the litigation team at Cubism Law and has over 25 years’ experience of working in the consumer industry. The focus of his work is High Court commercial litigation predominantly on the claimant side, focusing on professional negligence, property, claims and insurance coverage disputes.
Peter provides a comprehensive service for both corporate and individual clients and his clients include global institutions, brand owners and high net worth individuals.
Peter’s recent work has involved high profile contract and landlord and tenant cases. He is familiar with appellate (Supreme Court/ Court of Appeal) work and regularly handles High Court litigation cases including Landlord and Tenant claims and judicial review actions.
He has considerable experience in bringing and defending complex professional negligence claims, particularly those involving claims against insurance companies, solicitors, surveyors, architects and other construction professionals.
He deals with a wide variety of consumer, trading standards and regulatory law issues including unfair commercial terms and practices, as well as food and environmental health. He acted for the successful party in the seminal case of Parking Eye v Beavis where the Supreme Court restated the law of contract regarding penalties.
If he is not with his family Peter likes to disappear into the countryside to walk. Last year he completed the 20 Mile Ridgeway and a walk through the Rota Vicentina in Southern Portugal (his next conquest will hopefully be the 40 miler).
“Peter does what it says on the tin. He progresses claims very efficiently and is skilful in negotiations.” Property client
Track Record / Expertise
- Acted in a substantial claim by a tenant against a Landlord for failing to reinstate a property sufficiently quickly following a fire.
- Advised a regulated person in the first ever reference to the Better Regulation Delivery Office under RESA. Acting in subsequent judicial review of the decision and appeal. Compromised before Court of Appeal Hearing
- A Judicial Review against a Local Authority challenging its decision to reduce the number of officers working in its Trading Standards Department
- Application to SRA compensation fund for an individual suffering losses as a result of a professional indemnity insurers decision to decline indemnity to a solicitors’ firm
- Advised a Parking Company on an important and widely reported appeal to the Court of Appeal and thereafter the Supreme Court regarding the application of the contractual doctrine against penalties to modern consumer regulation
- Advised a company facing Part 8 action brought by a local authority in relation to a collective claim by consumers.
- Advised a regulated person on application of primary authority advice when faced with enforcement action in respect of a mouse infestation.
- Advised on the liabilities arising in law arising from the sale of so called “legal highs”
- Advised a client on the regulation of sale of overseas property to UK individuals.
- Advised a solicitor who was a partner in a firm that was subsequently intervened on her liabilities and regulatory responsibilities in relation to a series of professional negligence claims against the failed firm and acting in the defence of recovery of excesses against her by the insurance company.
- Acted for an individual in a claim against her conveyancing solicitors for failing to account to her for the full value of the sale
- Assisted US Lawyers seeking to depose a witness residing in the jurisdiction of the High Court and attending to the UK procedural requirements.
- Advised a University on its recovery options against its professional team when a gym floor used for weightlifting started to break up.
- Advised a client in a claim against a firm of solicitors as a result of alleged loss flowing from an overage agreement.
- Advised a client regarding his rights against his former solicitors concerning a guarantee that he had given in the course of his business.
- Represented parties in settlement negotiations and mediations on numerous occasions.
- Advised a client seeking specific performance of a contract to acquire land (ongoing)
- 2005 – Present: Cubism Law
- 1992 –2005, Reynolds Porter Chamberlain
- 1990 – 1992, Allen & Overy
- 1985 – 1988, LLB Hons, Bristol University
- 1988 – 1989, LSF, College of Law, Chester