Cathy has over 25 years’ experience as a partner in a top 100 law firm and specialises in commercial dispute resolution, with a focus on insurance claims, professional negligence, construction disputes and product liability. She is a member of Cubism’s financial liabilities team, seeking compensation for victims of wrongdoing by banks and other financial institutions.
Recommended by both Chambers and Legal 500 as an expert within her field,she delivers great outcomes for clients with claims, or facing court proceedings, and is known for her sound judgement and creative solutions. Her work for businesses, professionals and individuals includes a range of contentious circumstances including defective construction work; negligence work or advice by professionals, and product liability. Cathy was an early pioneer of acting for clients to recover damages on a “no win no fee” basis and has successfully pursued thousands of claims on that basis.
Outside the law, Cathy is a believer in the transformational power of great education and has served as chair of a school governing body in one of London’s most deprived schools.
Advice to insurance policyholders and their advisors, including declined claims and policy wordings insurance Expertise includes property and business interruption insurance, professional and financial liability policies, public and product liability insurance.
Commercial contract disputes.
Advising about pursuing and resolving claims against banks, financial advisors, IFA’s, pensions advisors.
Claims against professionals such as architects, engineers, surveyors, accountants.
Product liability claims.
Experienced in pursuing alternative solutions for clients using alternative techniques such as mediation and adjudication and arbitration.
Track Record / Key Experience:
- Successful pursuit of an insurance claim for an antique dealer’s entire stock stolen in a robbery, wrongly declined by insurers. The business had been seriously jeopardised by the failure to pay. Cathy forced the insurer to pay up, to her client’s relief.
- Successful resolution via mediation of a disputed insurance claim of over £1 million for the operators of a leisure club, severely damaged by fire. Insurers ultimately paid the costs of repair and compensated for disruption of the business.
- Recovering multimillion losses from construction professionals and subcontractors who caused the collapse during construction of the structure of a prestigious housing development.
- Recovering a multimillion pound loss against a subcontractor for a main construction contractor who had been forced to repair all the brickwork in a large housing project for a housing association in East London.
- Acting for a university to recover the costs of replacing a defectively built roof.
- Successful recovery of a disputed financial loss claim for a tech company against insurers who disputed extent of damage to the business caused by careless work to a defective floor.
- Advice to a Saudi based manufacturer whose insurer was delaying payment of an insurance claim of how to address the problem.
- As a trusted advisor to a railway recovering losses on a no win no fee basis caused by disruption to the railway by motorists and others. Devised a strategy to resolve relevant issues between railway “players” for good, saving clients millions of pounds in legal fees.
- Defending the installer of a flue which allegedly caused a fire with £16M damage to a business, and negotiating a settlement that limited its liability so that it was able to continue to trade.
Chambers 2017 records: “She is absolutely brilliant; a tough litigator who is also great to work with, very down-to-earth and straight talking. Clients love her because she gives clear, simple and effective advice “Huge technical experience “(Legal 500).
Voted best (insurance) coverage lawyer by other practitioners.
Rated as “tenacious, smart, sees wood from trees, courage to state views…”
- Partner, Berrymans Lace Mawer 1990 to 2016
- Assistant Solicitor Berrymans 1985 to 1990
- Admitted as a solicitor 1985
- Manchester University LLB Hons 1982.
- Accredited mediator 2017