Avi is a lawyer working in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law. He specialises in Professional Negligence and Commercial Litigation cases working for both private clients and corporate clients.
He has over 6 years’ experience dealing with all aspects of professional negligence disputes, with particular focus on preparing complex multi-million pound claims against solicitors and barristers.
Avi and the team of six working under Cubism Law’s Senior Lawyer Anjan Patel, regularly act for both private clients including high net worth individual clients and business owners. He also works for companies seeking compensation from solicitors, barristers, accountants and financial institutions for matters of alleged professional negligence, breach of contract, negligent or fraudulent misrepresentation.
Many of his professional negligence matters involve failed litigation cases in various industries, including failed banking disputes, failed contractual disputes, failed financial services disputes, failed corporate disputes and failed international property litigation.
Avi and the rest of the team are currently the only claimant team ranked under professional negligence in the key legal directory Chambers and Partners. Avi’s work in Professional Negligence, in particular, has also been recognised and ranked in Legal 500.
Avi is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association. He juggles work with his fondness for travelling particularly in the USA and Israel. He is also an avid enthusiast for single malt Whisky.
Track Record / Key Experience:
- Acted in a multi-million pound Commercial Court claim against a top-tier global shipping law practice for the negligent sale of an oil rig, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in October 2015.
- Acted in a multi-million pound High Court claim against a top-tier global practice for the negligent enforcement of a multi-million pound arbitration award against the Nigerian government, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in July 2016.
- Acting in a multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist practice acting for high net worth individuals - for the negligent conduct of a financial services dispute against a subsidiary of a global insurance company, which is due to go to trial in November 2017.
- Acted in a multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist practice and counsel, specialising in large scale financial services misselling claims, for the negligent conduct of a financial services dispute, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in May 2016.
- Acted in a multi-million pound High Court claim for negligent advice relating to securitisation of a loan in relation to a high-end London property, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in 2015.
- Acted in a claim for negligent conduct of a dispute concerning a previously well-known night club in the West End – Jalouse, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in March 2016.
- Acted in a High Court claim against a specialist practice and counsel, for the negligent conduct of a complex company/chancery litigation, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in October 2011.
- Acted successfully in the High Court for the Claimant in defending against the Defendant’s application for an adjournment of trial and acted successfully for the Claimant on his application for specific disclosure against the Fourth Defendant accountancy firm (Scriven v Scriven & Ors  EWHC 4223 (Ch)).
General Commercial Litigation:
- Acted for a Part 20 Claimant in its successful multi-million pound Defence & Counterclaim in the High Court and Court of Appeal in respect of the enforcement of a loan against a high-end London property, involving complex arguments under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- Acted for a Part 20 Claimant in its successful multi-million pound Defence & Counterclaim against a well-known West End property company for misrepresentation, breach of warranty inter alia, in respect of a high-end leasehold penthouse in Mayfair, London. Obtained a favourable multi-million pound judgment for damages and costs, following the trial
- Acted for a Part 20 Claimant in its successful multi-million pound Defence & Counterclaim in the High Court and Court of Appeal in respect of the enforcement of a loan against a high end London property involving arguments under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Helden v Strathmore  EWCA Civ 542).
- Acted for the Claimant in two sets of High Court proceedings, involving misrepresentation, breach of warranty of authority etc. – ultimately successfully settling both claims pursuant to confidential terms after a mediation and just before trial.
- Acted successfully in the Court of Appeal for the Claimant doctor in his judicial review appeal against the General Medical Council’s decision not to accept his degree as a Primary Medical Qualification for the purposes of registration in the UK (R (Patel) v General Medical Council  EWCA Civ 327;  WLR (D) 128).
- Acted for Senator Waqar Khan in his multi-million pound High Court claim against Deutsche Bank claiming substantial damages for misrepresentation, breach of the Consumer Credit Act, breach of a facility agreement inter alia.
- Acted for a celebrity in a claim for damages against a well-known media company, arising from a breach of contract which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in 2011.
- Claimed substantial damages and costs in various High Court proceedings for negligent and/or fraudulent misrepresentation against several well-known English developers of new build properties for numerous clients – obtaining damages, costs and rescission of purchase contracts.
- 2017-Present: Associate Solicitor, Cubism Law
- 2013-2017: Associate Solicitor, Neumans LLP
- 2010-2013: Paralegal and training contract at Neumans LLP
- 2009-2010: Legal Practice Course at BPP law school (gaining a Commendation)
- 2005-2008: LLB Hons (2.1) from the University of Birmingham
- 1998-2005: The Manchester Grammar School