"Anjan Patel is tenacious in the pursuit of his client’s interests" Legal 500, 2017
Anjan is a senior lawyer and heads up a commercial litigation and professional negligence team in the dispute resolution department at Cubism Law which specialises in High Court litigation and related arbitration. The team was the only one that was ranked under Claimant Professional Negligence in Chambers and Partners 2017 and their work has been recognised and ranked in the Legal 500 2017.
Anjan and his team regularly act for international companies, high net worth individuals and business owners in complex multi-million pound claims involving High Court and/or arbitration proceedings and/or mediation. Those claims often involve breach of contract claims, shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, large-scale and complex professional negligence claims against solicitors, barristers, accountants, banks and financial institutions. In particular, Anjan’s team has a specialism in formulating and preparing large-scale and complex loss of opportunity claims arising from commercial and professional negligence claims.
Anjan has also acted for clients in complex Ancillary relief, freezing injunctions in multiple jurisdictions , uncovering assets held on trust or by 3rd parties to maximise recovery for wife, seeking disclosure/further information to uncover dissipation of assets to maximise recovery for either wife or husband from the matrimonial assets, contact applications and variations of orders.
He has also been recognised for his involvement in numerous actions in all divisions of the High Court and over 50 reported decisions in the High Court, Court of Appeal, House of Lords and European Court of First Instance.
Track Record / Key Experience:
General Commercial Litigation and Arbitration:
- Successfully obtained an order in the UAE Courts arresting a ship and thereafter, in conjunction with the Dubai lawyers, initiating arbitration proceedings in London whilst the ship remained arrested ultimately resulting in a successful settlement of the arbitration proceedings for the client.
- Acted for the Claimant who obtained an arbitration award of over $200 million against an African state, assisted the client locating assets against which the arbitration award could be enforced and thereafter assisted the client in negotiating a commercial settlement.
- Acted for the successful claimant in pursuing and settling Admiralty and Commercial Court proceedings with a freezing injunction over an oil rig, and other interim relief, despite the existence of an arbitration clause in the sale contract.
- Acted for a Part 20 Claimant in its successful multi-million pound Defence & Counterclaim against a well-known West End property company for misrepresentation, breach of warranty inter alia, in respect of a high-end leasehold penthouse in Mayfair, London. Obtained a favourable multi-million pound judgment for damages and costs, following the trial
- Acted for the Claimant in its multi-million pound claim against a national railway company, arising from the termination of a lease, promissory estoppel inter alia in relation to the government’s infrastructure/transport plans for the London Olympics, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in 2008.
- Acted for the Claimant in two sets of High Court proceedings, involving misrepresentation, breach of warranty of authority etc. – ultimately successfully settling both claims pursuant to confidential terms after a mediation and just before trial.
- Successfully acted for the appellant in the European Court of First Instance in removing sanctions and a travel ban against the client on the basis of detailed written submissions against the imposition of sanctions in breach of fairness, natural justice inter alia. Client was removed from sanctions list with costs awarded in his favour.
- Acted successfully in the Court of Appeal for the Claimant doctor in his judicial review appeal against the General Medical Council’s decision not to accept his degree as a Primary Medical Qualification for the purposes of registration in the UK.
- Defended a claim for deceit brought against a director of a company by Standard Chartered Bank in two trials in the High Court, two appeals in the Court of Appeal and a House of Lords appeal.
- Brought a claim for an injunction on behalf of a student attempting to restrain members of a teaching trade union from strike action in the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords.
- Acted for Senator Waqar Khan in his multi-million pound High Court claim against Deutsche Bank claiming substantial damages for misrepresentation, breach of the Consumer Credit Act, breach of a facility agreement inter alia.
- Acted for a celebrity in a claim for damages against a well-known media company, arising from a breach of contract which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in 2011.
- Acted for various claimants successful in various High Court proceedings for negligent and/or fraudulent misrepresentation against several well-known English developers of new build properties for numerous clients – obtaining damages, costs and rescission of purchase contracts.
- Acted for hundreds of children, students and parents in education, special needs, exclusion, admission, university disputes in the High Court, Court of Appeal, House of Lords, Special Needs Tribunal, Governing Body Panels and Independent Appeal Panels – obtained numerous reported decisions, settlements and precedents in these proceedings including High Court injunctions requiring a state and an independent school to re-instate a permanently excluded student for breach of natural justice and breach of contract, numerous successful judicial reviews and favourable settlements some of which resulted in changes to Acts and/or Statutory Instruments of Parliament.
- Currently acting for numerous claimants and part 20 claimants/defendants in large-scale complex commercial disputes with a significant international element.
Acted for the claimants in the following claims:
- A multi-million pound Commercial Court claim against a top-tier global shipping law practice for the negligent transfer and sale of an oil rig, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in October 2015.
- A multi-million pound High Court claim against a top-tier global legal practice for the negligent enforcement of a multi-million pound arbitration award against an African government, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in July 2016.
- A multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist law firm and counsel, specialising in large scale financial services misselling claims, for the negligent conduct of a financial services dispute, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in May 2016.
- A multi-million pound High Court claim for negligent advice against a law firm specialising in conveyancing relating to securitisation of a loan concerning a high-end London property, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in 2015.
- A claim for negligent conduct of a dispute by a City law firm concerning a previously well-known night club in the West End – Jalouse, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in March 2016.
- A multi-million pound High Court claim against a top 50 accountancy firm for the negligent advice and execution of a tax scheme, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in April 2011.
- A High Court claim against a specialist practice and counsel, for the negligent conduct of a complex company/chancery litigation, which successfully settled pursuant to confidential terms in October 2011.
- Acted successfully in the High Court for the Claimant in defending against the Defendant’s application for an adjournment of trial and acted successfully for the Claimant on his application for specific disclosure against the Fourth Defendant accountancy firm.
- A multi-million pound High Court claim against a specialist law firm acting for high net worth individuals - for the negligent conduct of a financial services dispute against a subsidiary of a global insurance company, which is due to go to trial in November 2017.
- Currently acting for a number of claimants in large scale complex multi-million pound claims against solicitors for their negligent conduct of litigation and/or commercial transactions.
- 2017- Present: Consultant, Cubism Law
- 2008-2017: Senior Consultant & Head of Commercial Litigation & Professional Negligence at Neumans LLP, successor practice to Sabir Selby
- 2005-2008: Senior Consultant at Sabir Selby, successor practice to Amer Sargent
- 2003-2005: Senior Consultant at Amer Sargent
- 1998-2003: Head of Education, Public Law and Commercial Disputes at Ashok Patel & Co.
- 1994-1998: Paralegal and training contract at Ashok Patel & Co.
- 1998 Qualified as Solicitor
- 1996 College of Law, London
- 1994 LLB, University of Bristol
- City of London Boys’ School